Soondubu Jjigae (Korean Soft Tofu Soup)
For anchovy stock
- 3cups water
- 5-6Large dried anchovies
- 1dried sea kelpmedium size
- 2tablespoons oil
- 1/3cup Asian leek or green onionchopped
- 2tablespoons Korean chili flakes (gochugaru)
- 1/2small onionchopped
- 1/2cup kimchichopped
- 1lb silken tofu
- 1/2lb frozen boiled whole clam
- 6whole shrimp (medium size)deveined
- 1tablespoon Korean soup soy sauce
- 2teaspoons Korean anchovy sauce
- morechopped green onionto garnish
Soak frozen clam in cold water for 5 minutes and drain.
To devein whole shrimp, stab toothpick between the joint and pull upward gently. Ta-da! Your shrimp is deveined!
Cmbine dried anchovies and dried sea keep with water in a pot. Bring to boil and simmer for 4 minutes. Reserve the stock.
Heat oil in a pot over low heat. Add leek (or green onion) and korean chili flakes and stir for 1 minute.
Add onion, garlic, and kimchi and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes over medium heat until soft.
Add tofu and cut into big chunks with a spoon.
Add zucchini, shrimp, and clam.
Pour anchovy stock until it barely covers the tofu and seafood, about 1-3/4 cup. Stir gently.
Bring the stew to boil and simmer over medium low heat for 4-5 minutes.
Season the soup with korean soup soy sauce and anchovy sauce.
Taste the broth and season more with salt if needed. Sprinkle green onion at last.
Sprinkle green onion at last.
Serve hot with rice and side dishes (banchan).