Haemul Pajeon (Seafood Pancake)
Two Plaid Aprons
The pancake batter
- 1tablespoon Cornstarch
- 3/4cup Water (cold or room temperature)
- 1/2teaspoon Coarse Salta little less if using fine salt
- 1/2cup All-Purpose Flourspooned and leveled
The dipping sauce
- 1teaspoon Gochugaru (Korean red chili flakes)optional
- 1teaspoon Granulated Sugaradd more to your preference
- 1teaspoon Toasted Sesame Seeds (white)optional
- 1tablespoon Rice Vinegar
- 1tablespoon Soy Sauce (light or regular)
- 1bunch Green Onion (small or regular)cleaned and washed
- 1large Egg
- 12medium Shrimpspeeled, deveined, and washed
- 1/2Squid Tubethawed and cut into bite size pieces
In a bowl, mix together 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour (spooned and leveled ), 1 tablespoon Cornstarch, 1/2 teaspoon Coarse Salt (a little less if using fine salt). Once combined, whisk in 3/4 cup Water (cold or room temperature) until smooth.
Use whatever seafood you like. Make sure it is thawed and cut to the desired size. We are using 12 medium Shrimps (peeled, deveined, and washed), and 1/2 Squid Tube (thawed and cut into bite size pieces)
For the dipping sauce, mix together 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce (light or regular), 1 tablespoon Rice Vinegar, 1 teaspoon Granulated Sugar (add more to your preference), 1 teaspoon Gochugaru (Korean red chili flakes) (optional), 1 teaspoon Toasted Sesame Seeds (white) (optional) until the sugar dissolves.
Trim 1 bunch Green Onion (small or regular) (cleaned and washed) to the size of your nonstick pan. Save your green onion trimmings to fill gaps.
Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat. Add just enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Add the green onions along with the trimming in one layer. Pour 2/3 of the batter over the green onions and let that cook for 3 minutes. While thats cooking, mix 1 large Egg in a small bowl and set aside. Add the seafood over the pancake and pour the remaining batter over the pancake. Add the beaten egg and cook for an additional minute.
To flip, make sure there is no excess oil or you can hurt yourself. Place a plate on top on the pancake and flip the pan and pancake onto the plate away from the fire. Then add about a tablespoon of oil to the pan. Gently slide the pancake, seafood side down, into the pan. Cook for 3 minutes or until the seafood is cooked. With a new clean plate, flip the pancake again. Raise the heat to medium high and add a little more oil to the pan and slide the pancake back in, seafood side up. Cook for 1-2 mintues to crisp the bottom. Take it off the heat and serve on a plate (it can be the 2nd plate used for flipping the pancake).
With a scissor or knife, cut the pajeon to your desired size. Enjoy with the dipping sauce while it's hot!
Budae Jjigae (Army Stew)
Two Plaid Aprons
The soup base
- 1/2cup Fermented Kimchi
- 1clove Garlicminced
- 1tablespoon Gochujang (Fermented Chili Paste)
- 1tablespoon Gochugaru (Korean Red Chili Flakes)
- 2cups Water (cold or room temperature)
Ingredients for the stew
- 7ounces Firm Tofucut into desired size
- 1stalk Green Onionwashed and thinly sliced
- 1/2medium Yellow Onionpeeled and thinly sliced
- 6ounces Luncheon Meat, such as Spamsliced into desired thickness
- 1Instant Ramyun Noodle, such as Shin Ramyunjust the noodle
- 1-2heads Bok Choy (optional)washed and quartered
- 4-5Baby Portobello Mushrooms (optional)quartered
- 2links Hotdogscut into bite size pieces
Cut and prepare 1-2 heads Bok Choy (optional) (washed and quartered), 1/2 medium Yellow Onion (peeled and thinly sliced), 4-5 Baby Portobello Mushrooms (optional) (quartered), 7 ounces Firm Tofu (cut into desired size), 1 stalk Green Onion (washed and thinly sliced), 1 clove Garlic (minced) and set aside.
Cut 2 links Hotdogs (cut into bite size pieces), and 6 ounces Luncheon Meat, such as Spam (sliced into desired thickness).
Arrange the prepared ingredients (except green onions) in a shallow pot. Avoid overcrowding. Then add in 1 tablespoon Gochugaru (Korean Red Chili Flakes), 1 tablespoon Gochujang (Fermented Chili Paste), and 1/2 cup Fermented Kimchi.
Add in 2 cups Water (cold or room temperature) to the pot and bring it to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes, then add in 1 Instant Ramyun Noodle, such as Shin Ramyun (just the noodle) and cook for 2-3 minutes. Once the noodles are almost cooked, add in the green onions and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Enjoy it while it's hot!